Samuel Nathan Kahn believes that no matter what stage you are at in your business, it is important to remember that trying to be a hero and doing everything yourself, is a sure way to guarantee burnout and stress within your business.
Burnout and stress can lead to inconsistency and mistakes, so it is important to remember that delegation is the key to running an efficient and effective business.
While delegation may seem like a daunting concept, it also empowers your team, builds trust, and assists with professional development. It also allows you to identify who is best suited to tackle tasks and projects.
Sam Kahn believes that not only do you save yourself time and energy as you are able to focus on your own personal strengths, but you also give others the opportunity to stay in their zone of genius.
It gives them a chance to develop new skills and gain greater knowledge. This then allows them to come up with more efficient and creative ways to expand on their areas of expertise, which will add to the growth and longevity of your business.
Some questions to ask yourself prior to delegating to ensure it is necessary to pass the specific task onto someone else;
- Is there someone else in the business that has all of the necessary information or specific expertise to complete the task?
- Will this task provide an opportunity to grow and develop another person’s skills?
- Will this task be recurring?
- Do you have time to properly delegate the task effectively?
- What is the priority level of this task and does it have a deadline? Do I have the right amount of time for it to be completed efficiently in the time frame?
Once you have clearly defined the task and decided it’s best to delegate, here are Sam Kahn’s top 9 Tips for how to delegate effectively;
- Know what to delegate
- Play to your employee’s strengths and goals
- Define the desired outcome
- Provide the right resources and level of authority
- Establish a clear communication channel
- Allow for failure
- Be patient
- Deliver feedback
- Give credit where it’s due
Sam Kahn says to remember that delegating isn’t easy; it’s a skill that must be practiced and honoured over time. The better you become at aligning the right people with the tasks that you need, the more effective and efficient your business will run.
For more business tips and advice, visit https://samuel-kahn.co.uk/blog/